Mr. Ezra is a veteran of the consumer products industries as a litigator, mediator and business advisor. Over the course of his 40-year career he has earned the reputation as a leading lawyer in the apparel, fashion and textiles industry by assisting clients in critical decisions in all aspects of their business operations. Mr. Ezra gained practical industry knowledge as an accountant and loan officer to garment makers before he became an attorney. As a loan officer with Manufacturers Bank in downtown Los Angeles in the early 1970s, he learned the entire manufacturing process from spinning yarn to retail delivery and every aspect in between. Mr. Ezra specializes in contractual claims, partnership disputes, unfair competition, secured transaction, intellectual property claims and business torts. He devises legally protective and creative resolutions in business conflicts and creates valuable opportunities for clients in the area of financing and business growth. He also advises on copyright and trademark availability and enforcement, and licensing agreements. Additionally, Mr. Ezra has experience in financing, letters of credit and factoring establishing overseas manufacturing operations. Mr. Ezra is a Certified Business Mediator and was a member of the Los Angeles Superior Court Mediation Panel. He is often quoted in fashion and apparel industry publications, and requested to share his expertise with a variety of fashion industry and business organizations. He has been awarded an AV Preeminent® Rating by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review, the highest rating in legal ability and ethical standards, and he has been recognized for 19 consecutive years on the Southern California Super Lawyers list (2007-2023), a designation bestowed on only the top 5% of lawyers in this region.
As a litigator, Mr. Ezra specializes in contractual claims, secured transactions, partnership disputes, unfair competition, intellectual property claims and business torts both within and outside the apparel industry. He devises legally protective and creative resolutions in business conflicts and creates valuable opportunities for clients in the area of financing and business growth. Further, he works to protect clients’ intellectual property by advising on copyright and trademark availability, and assisting throughout the domestic and international registration processes. Mr. Ezra prosecutes violators when clients need to prevent copyright or trademark infringement in state and federal courts.
He advises both licensees and licensors on all aspects of licensing agreements. When representing a licensor in a transaction, he determines the viability of long-term relationships, the availability of capital to build the trademark, and opportunities to judiciously deliver on sales and production schedules. He also works with clients’ accountants and underwriters to develop exit strategies that achieve the maximum return for his client. Finally Mr. Ezra is a mediator who has successfully mediated multiple cases and was a member of the Los Angeles County Court Mediator Panel.
Mr. Ezra received his JD from Loyola University. He attended DePaul University where he received his BS degree.
Professional and Community Involvement
Los Angeles Bar Association l California Bar Association | American Bar Association | Tennessee Bar Association, Commercial and Litigation Division, Business and Business Litigation Divisions | American Bar Association l Advisory Board Southern California State Certified Mediator | Member Southern California Mediation Association | Board of Directors California Fashion Association | Member, Textile Professional Club | National Jewish Hospital, National Board of Trustees | (2002 Humanitarian Award), Board of Directors | Apparel Industry Group Managing Partners Roundtable | California State Advisory Board Committee Loyola Law School | Lecturer Cedars Sinai | Fashion Industry Guild.
Representative Clients and Matters
- Dismissal of high profile, alleged slave labor charges by the U.S. Department of Labor against a contracted supplier.
- Successful defense of a privately held jeans maker, Z. Cavarrici, in a potentially costly trademark lawsuit. Aggressive prosecution of trademark infringement on behalf of a denim maker.
- Ongoing counsel to various businesses in the review and evaluation of their Uniform Commercial Code forms, documentation and transactions.
- Devised a profitable exit plan for the owner of a piece goods company that added substantial value to a maturing business.
- Argued a malicious prosecution case before California Supreme Court that resulted in the court striking down the ability to sue for malicious prosecution in family law matters, a ruling that continues to stand.
- Represented a businessman falsely accused of illegal activity before the California State Supreme Court. The case resolved conflicting appellate rulings defining the rules of privilege.
- Structured the sale of a food business pending imminent demise based on incarceration of owner operator, yielding monies for payment of IRS and creditor claims.
- Successfully defended real property owner on lis pendens action brought by a credit card company.
- Successfully defended sublimation printers from copyright and unfair competition claims.
- Set up a network of professionals, including factors and suppliers, to help a start-up design company enter the market.
- Called as an expert witness on cases involving secured transactions and has consulted on letter of credit matters.
- Litigated and resolved shareholder disputes and Corporate dissolution action involving valuation of business and related real estate.
- Litigated money and warranty claims between foreign bedding supplier and U.S. manufacturer Litigated copyright infringement claim over fabric design.
- Represented client regarding issues of malicious prosecution resulting in an Appellate Court “Bright Line” decision in Family Law matters.
- Obtained financing for multiple clients for start-up and distressed companies.
- Successfully prosecuted claim for Directors’ breach of fiduciary duty.
- Successfully seized counterfeit trademarked goods resulting in cessation of further trademark violations.
- Pursued claims against a foreign company infringing on Clients trademarks where injunction was issued to prevent sales in the United States.
- Successfully pursued an employee who was embezzling money from employer.
- Successfully defended an Assignee for the Benefit of Creditors against a claim by the assignee’s shareholders.
- Engineered settlements between foreign textile supplies and clients.
- Successfully prosecuted lawsuit between shareholders ending with the business going to our clients.
Areas of Expertise
See how our expert team of attorneys can help
Give Us a Call